When Mr. José de Escandón y Helguera initiated his colonizing campaign in 1748 of this Tamaulipas territory, he was interviewed in San Fernando by Mr. Vicente Guerra, a resident of the province of Coahuila, who asked him for permission to establish a settlement in the region; granted this permit and the approval of Escandón with several families from the same province, establishes the first farmhouse in a place next to a hacienda called "Santa María de Guadalupe de las Puentes", property of his brother-in-law D. Nicolás de la Garza Falcón , the 10 of October of 1750, town which was given the name "Villa of Señor San Ignacio de Loyola de Revilla", for its religious certiocation and in honor of the first Count of Revillagigedo, D. Francisco de Guemez y Horcasita, in that moment Viceroy Governor of New Spain.
The number of families with which Revilla was founded, name which would be recognized was 62, with a total of 368 members. After a year, the town changed its location a short distance from the first one, possibly due to better conditions, on the same rivera of the Salado River that was born in what was the province of Coahuila and that joining with the Sabinas River that comes from Boca de Lions, today Villaldama, NL forms a single channel that flows into the Rio Grande or Grande, which currently separates Mexico and the United States.
The second place to which the town of Revilla was changed is known as "Rancho los Moros", in this place, three years later, Captain D. Vicente Guerra dies, who is considered the founder of Revilla, which is why Mr. José de Escandón visits the place in the year of 1754. By that time the population had increased with new families from Coahuila and Nuevo Leon, motivated mainly by the high contributions that the governors of those provinces imposed on them.
When Escandón visited this town, he ordered it to be moved for the third time, placing it according to the chronicles a thousand yards below, at a point on the left bank of the Salado River over a bend that formed its channel and eight kilometers from its mouth in the River Bravo, according to its geographical location this would be 26 - 56 - 15 sw north latitude and 0 - 14 '- 10 longitude east meridian of Mexico, and 94 m. above sea level. Possibly the reason to change of site again, was the hostile environment constantly threatened by tribes of wild Indians who prowled the region as the lipan and Comanche among others.
There are records of those attacks in corridos that speak of them, among which stands out the one of "Los Moros" that describes the death of men, women and children at the hands of the Indians.
When the new change of place was made, a complete list of the inhabitants of Revilla was made by D. José Tienda de Cuervo, Mexican Inspector Judge appointed by the Viceroy Márquez de las Amarillo, staying as manager and captain of the town D. José Báez Benavides, in the religious aspect was founded the ampuero mission, being in charge of the missionary father Fray Miguel in Santa María de los Dolores, apostolic religious of our Mrs. of Guadalupe in the city of Zacatecas.
In the month of July of the year of 1767, by express order of the Marquez de Croix Viceroy governor and captain general of New Spain, the official repartimiento of land of Antigua Revilla was made by the commissioners D. Juan Fernando de Palacio, field marshal and lieutenant general of the colony of Nuevo Santander and Mr. José de Osorio y Llamas, lawyer of the Rs. connected with representatives of neighbors; in this way the jurisdiction of the population is perfectly delimited, remaining as follows: on the east; the Bravo River of the north, by the northeast; with the Municipality of Nuevo Laredo, to the south; with lands of the Municipality of Paras, NL and southeast; with the Municipality of Cd. Mier, Tam.
In the year of 1928, an International Bridge was built over the Rio Grande that united the population with that of Zapata, Texas, USA
The Old Revilla changed its primitive name after 77 years of showing it by the one of the caudillo of the south and consummador of the Independence of Mexico, General D. Vicente Guerrero, by decree of the Legislature of the State, dated 12 of November of 1827. He gave part of his assets to the needy classes.
In this place remains the old Revilla already with the name of Guerrero City, for 203 years in which by order of the Federal Government and in accordance with the agreement signed with the government of the United States in the year of 1944, protocolized in Washington On the treatment and use of the waters of the Ríos Bravo and Colorado, the decision was made by both governments to build the Falcón International Dam that would flood Ciudad Guerrero.
Officially communicated the project in 1948 of its flood and change of place, it was organized in agreement with the municipal authority a committee of defense of the interests of the population and which immediately initiates interviews and agreements with the different official dependencies concerning its change .
After several studies regarding its new location in which different opinions were taken into account, three places were presented for its study: "Los Moros", a place that had historically occupied the town, "San Ignacio", an existing town to the north and the so-called "La Cortina" in the vicinity of the Falcón Dam under construction.
In order to take a definitive agreement, the 23 day of January of 1949 was held, an extraordinary public session convened by the City Council presided at that time by C. Lorenzo González Vela and with the presence of officials from various official dependencies, chaired by Mr. David Herrera Jordan, High Commissioner of the International Commission on Limits and Waters, during which the projects indicated by the persons previously registered for the case were presented. Carried out a final vote, this favored the site designated as "La Cortina".
As said site is located on land of the municipality of Ciudad Mier. immediately began talks with the authorities of Mier, happily reaching an agreement that was made official by decree no. 274 issued by H. Congreso del Estado dated September 11 of 1953, which modified the territorial limits of the two municipalities.
This population had its peak in the mid-nineteenth century, when it had its highest population; different causes contributed to the arrest of their growth, among them the suspension of the works of the railway project, the social movement of the 1910 revolution, in which Ciudad Guerrero was the scene of bloody battles between the government forces and the constitutionalist or revolutionary forces they disputed the control of the border that forced almost all of its inhabitants to flee to other cities, even from abroad, and then did not return to their land.
The 19 of October of 1953, was officially inaugurated the Falcón International Dam, by the Presidents of Mexico, D. Adolfo Ruiz Cortines and of the United States, Gral. Dwith D. Eisenhower, who held a historic interview in the Hall of the Municipal Palace, for that reason called of the "Presidents".
When located in this new site with the name of New City Guerrero the Old Revilla, historically occupied its fourth location. The ruins of the Ancient Flooded City, are now known as "Old Warrior" and are a source of admiration for their numerous
Chronology of historical events
- 1750 1o de Octubre, founding of the Villa Revilla population.
- 1754 Location of the Villa Revilla By José de Escandón
- 1820 Change of name by General Vicente Guerrero
- 1844 was attacked by Texans
- 1876 Porfirio Díaz establishes border customs.
- 1852 Change of location due to the construction of the Falcón dam
- 1963 The Falcón dam is inaugurated, in front of the new Cd. Guerrero.
- José Ma. González Benavides (1831-1910)
- José Antonio Gutiérrez de Lara, Local Deputy and President of the Tamaulipas congress. (1770-1843)
- José Bernardo Gutiérrez de Lara, Constitutional Governor of the State. (1774-1841)
- Antonio Zapata, insurgent rebel; a cd. of Texas bears his name.
In the middle of this century, the waters of the Falcón dam covered an important part of the city, which had numerous single-story stone houses, adorned with gargoyles, cornices, arches and more architectural elements that highlighted these beautiful buildings. For the most part, the historic houses of the town were made of stone, following the colonial tradition, and the balcony was forged in several independent iron pieces, whose assembly was a clear example of the meticulous blacksmithing of this era.
In the new Guerrero City, at the main entrance of the Municipal Palace, there is an allusion to the Gutiérrez de Lara brothers, insurgents of the state.
Above the gates of the dam is an obelisk, which is flanked by the flags of Mexico and the USA.
Literature, music and poetry
From the literary genre: The people of Mexico fight for freedom and the briones of Lázaro Gutiérrez de Lara.
Celebration of the foundation of the city, the 1o of October of each year.
Roasted meat, fajitas, flour tortillas and beans a la charra.
Pumpkin, chayote and sweet potato
Pottery spun from bedspreads and bedspreads.
It is located in the northern part of the state territory bordering the north with the municipality of Nuevo Laredo; to the south with the municipality of Mier and to the west with the state of Nuevo León. Its territorial extension is 2,406.85 Km², it has an average altitude of 180 mts. above sea level.
It is integrated by 70 localities, being the most important: New cd. Guerrero (which is the municipal seat), San Ignacio, El Aguila, La Lajilla, San Rafael de la Tortillas, Santa Teresa, Golondrinas, Las Adjuntas and San Miguel.
The municipality of Guerrero is located on the basin of the Rio Grande, which crosses the municipality from west to east, being the main surface current. Its tributary located in the central part of the territory is the Salado River.
In addition, an 50% of the municipality's territory is covered by the Falcón dam.
The classification of the climate is considered to be of the dry type, very warm with the presence of canicula, extremes with oscillation from 7º to 14ºC, and with an average annual precipitation of 440mm³, being one of the lowest in Edo.
Most of the surface has a semi-plane relief, with gentle slopes and direction from west to east, defining in this way the surface currents that flow into the Falcón dam. The highest part is located towards the west, the riparian region located to the east is the lowest.
Classification and land use
Two types predominate. In the western portion, occupied an 50% of the territory, chestnut ground is located calcium and to the west the fluviosol eútrico; its characteristics make this region an area suitable for agriculture. With regard to trend, the majority of the territory is private property.
Flora and fauna
Given the characteristics of the region, the vegetation is classified as thorn crasirodurifolio scrub and thorn scrub, occupying the total municipal territory.
The fauna is constituted by animals such as wild boar and small mammals, birds, white wing pigeon, wild duck and geese.Suggest Edition