Villa founded the 19 of May of 1752, with the name of Santo Domingo de Hoyos, near the site where the mission of San Antonio de los Llanos was established, founded at the same time in 1709. The inhabitants were 180; his Captain Domingo de Unzaga, civil and military authority of the Villa, had paid for the transfer from their places of origin.
In 1757 they had already built their temple of lime and singing, administered by two religious of the Apostolic College of Guadalupe, Zacatecas, which had a half-orange chapel consecrated for tabernacle. In that year, some of the houses of the Villa were also of lime and song, others of adobe and the others were built with horcones and reeds, covered with grass; the population amounted to 576 people, including the captain and the indigenous Tlaxcaltecas; they were mainly engaged in the trade of bait, skins and wool that sent to Veracruz in the schooner of José de Escandón; the commerce was developed thanks to the good quality of the pastures of its lands, as it is accredited by the several ranches (cattle ranchers) that the neighbors have established in its territory and with particularity the property of Captain Don Domingo Unzaga, named San José de la Mesa , in whose benefit they obtain great progresses that also experience the haciendas of smaller cattle that in their jurisdiction graze.
From the middle of the XVIII century, the Spaniards who entered by the south and arrived by the west from the current territory of Tamaulipas to graze their wool cattle, allowed them to establish, among others, the Hacienda de Santa Engracia.
By decree of the State Congress of the 9 of September of 1828, it was granted the name of Villa Hidalgo, in honor of the father of the country Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla.
Chronology of historical events
- 1752 The March 19, foundation of Santo Domingo de Hoyos, today Villa de Hidalgo.
- 1828 the September 9 is granted the title of Villa Hidalgo in honor of the father of the country.
- Julián Cerda military and hero in the war of French intervention (1893).
- Juan Gojon military and political, was acting governor of Tamaulipas of 1877-1884.
- Gabriel Méndez Ortíz(- 1866).
- Pedro José Méndez Ortíz Outstanding military and hero in the war against the French intervention, was born in the ranch of San Agustín (1836-1866) also known as the enchilado.
- José Ma. Sánchez García(- 1966)
Monuments to Pedro José Méndez and Miguel Hidalgo, in the main square.
Parish of Santo Domingo de Guzmán, construction that dates from the middle of the XVIII century; Railroad station, built in the present century, ruins of the hacienda of San Juan; Ex-hacienda de la Mesa, Established in 1752, at the end of the 19th century it was acquired by General Manuel González, who was President of the Republic; Hacienda de Santa Engracia, founded in 1667; Church of Chorrito; tower of the church of Santo Domingo de Hoyos, currently Hidalgo. In 1756 there was already a chapel used as the tabernacle of the parish. The tower is a slender structure of two bodies topped with Solomonic columns.
In the painted cave, between San Pedro and Trejo there are cave paintings.
The 17, 18 and 19 days in March carry out the celebration of San José, in the ejidos of Mesa and Chorrito. It is a celebration that involves the Virgin of Guadalupe and Lord San José. It dates from the end of the 18th century, when this region was the route of the transhumant shepherds of New Spain, generating veneration for Guadalupe in a cave in the mountain. The party consists in taking to San Jose, located in the chapel of the former hacienda de la Mesa to the grotto, accompanying it with a pilgrimage of dance, pastorela and visitors paintings, constantly dancing these groups in the atrium of the grotto church . Pilgrims from all over Tamaulipas, Nuevo León, North of San Luis Potosí and Mexicans living in the United States attend this celebration. They can be sure that it is the first popular sanctuary in northeastern Mexico.
There are traditional events such as the orange fair, which is held in August and where they include cockfights, horse pairs, folk dances and mechanical traditions, there is also a religious tourist center called El Chorrito celebrating their parties on 18 and 19 for March. There is an archaeological center called Hacienda La Mesa, dating from the eighteenth century and also the hull of the Hacienda Santa Engracia, dating from the nineteenth century. In the municipal seat there are two squares, one called Pedro José Méndez and the other Hidalgo; It also has playgrounds built by the Tamaulipas Institute of Fine Arts for fun and recreation of children.
Belongs to the subregion Victoria No. 4 of the State of Tamaulipas and its municipal seat, Villa de Hidalgo, is located at 24º 9 '18' north latitude and at 1º 5 '12 "west longitude, at an altitude of 400 meters above the sea level. The Municipality has a territorial extension of 2,142.43 square kilometers, which represents the 2.33 percent of the total of the entity.
It adjoins to the North with the Municipality of Villagrán; to the South with Güémez; and to the East with those of San Carlos and Padilla and to the West with the State of Nuevo León; It is integrated by 179 localities of which the most important are: Hidalgo, Guillermo Zuniga, Oyama, Independence, San Jose de Santa Engracia, Hidalgo Ejido, El Sauz, Cruz y Cruz, Cruz y Carmen, Cruz Station, Santa Engracia Station and El Tomaseño.
The municipality counts on several rivers of permanent flow, as they are the San Antonio, that crosses the Municipality and is born in the Sierra Madre Oriental; it is incorporated in the middle portion of the territory to the currents of the Blanco and Purification Rivers, increasing the flow of the latter. To the south of the territory, the Corona river is located and the runoff from them spills its waters into the Vicente Guerrero Dam.
The predominant climate is sub-humid, semi-warm and extreme; the average rainfall is of 700 millimeters; the minimum temperature is of 2ºC and the maximum of 41ºC.
It has two relief characteristics; to the west of the Municipality is mountainous, occupying an 28 percent of the surface and the rest of the same in a inclined and slightly wavy plane.
Classification and land use
There are several types of soils. To the southwest the mountainous and forestry (hiosoles and xerosoles); in the greater extension of the territory are the vertical soils that are apt for agriculture; to the north, in a small portion, the soil is calcic casteñozem, little apt for agriculture. With regard to land tenure 118, 928 hectares belong to the ejido regime, distributed in 61 ejidos and 26,309 hectares are small property.
Flora and fauna
In the area of the Sierra Madre, the vegetation presents an association of deciduous forest and scleroaciculifolio. On the slopes of the mountain range, the vegetation is of high sub-winter scrub and the rest of the municipality, on the inclined plane, appear associations of deciduous thorn scrub.
There are wild animals such as the Canadian goose, deer and white-winged pigeon.Suggest Edition