The head of this Municipality bears the name of Villa de Morelos, the same that was founded on the 19 of October of 1860, on the banks of the river Mesillas, which comes from the State of San Luis Potosí. It should be noted that in the past, when it became a town, it was called the Congregation of Mesillas, and its main inhabitants came from Tampico. It is called Nuevo Morelos to distinguish itself from the Municipality of Antiguo Morelos.
In the years of 1911 and 1915, the inhabitants of this village emigrated to other populations in search of refuge, since both men and women were harassed and there were no guarantees on the part of the government. In the year of 1921, they opted to return again to repopulate their locality. For such purposes a commission is organized to go to Ciudad Victoria, headed by Pablo Gómez Rodríguez, whose purpose was to meet with the governor to ask for guarantees with the purpose of creating a municipal government. After suffering many hardships, lack of food and the most necessary to survive, they managed to rebuild and raise the Municipality again, this time, municipal president Everardo Huerta.
Chronology of historical events
- 1860 Foundation of the Mesilla Congregation, today Villa de Nuevo Morelos.
- 1916 As a result of the Revolution it is abandoned.
- 1921 Repopulation of the Villa de Nuevo Morelos.
- Pablo Gómez Rodríguez
- Everardo Huerta
Monuments in honor of Benito Juárez, located in Plaza de armas Pablo Gómez Rodríguez.
Cemetery of the town hall, built in the nineteenth century, Cemetery of Lord Cruz del Toro in the nineteenth century.
The 19 of October is celebrated annually, the anniversary of the foundation of the city; dances, fair and a queen are chosen during the celebration.
The Municipality of Nuevo Morelos is located in the southeastern portion of the State, has a territorial extension of 287.53 square kilometers, which represents 0.27% of the total of the entity. It borders to the North with the Municipality of Ocampo; to the South and to the West with the State of San Luis Potosí and to the East with the Municipality of Antiguo Morelos.
The municipal head is located at 2º28'0'' of north latitude and 0º46'42'' of west longitude, at an altitude of 276 meters above sea level. It is integrated by 43 localities, of which the most important are: Nuevo Morelos (municipal seat), Santa Cruz del Toro Congregation, La Reforma, El Jordán, Francisco Villa and Vista Hermosa.
Los Gatos River is the main hydrological system that the Municipality possesses. Throughout its 32 Km, it crosses the Municipality of Northeast to Southeast. It has some important streams such as: San Vicente, San Juan, La Lagunita, La Lajilla, Buenavista, Santa Cruz, La Raya, Sanguijuela and Huasteco.
The classification of the climate of the region, indicates the existence of zones with semi-warm climate, with rains in summer, extreme and humid, predominating the Municipality. Average temperatures range from 22ºC to 26ºC and average rainfall is 1,500 millimeters.
The relief of the Municipality is exempt of strong slopes, reaches in its municipal head a level of 176 meters on the level of the sea. Its slope is smooth and with southeast direction, being located in the valley formed by the mountain range of "La Colmena" and Nicolás Pérez.
Classification and land use
The predominant soil units of the municipality are vertisols, which are suitable for agriculture. Land tenure corresponds fundamentally to the ejido regime, 17,364 hectares that make up 69 percent of the total. The use of land is basically intended for livestock activity, followed in order of importance by forestry and livestock.
Flora and fauna
The vegetation that predominates in this municipality is the low deciduous forest, locating this association in the north and west of the municipality of Nuevo Morelos.
The fauna of the municipality is composed of small mammals like armadillo, rabbit, coyote, wild boar, as well as wild cat and white-tailed deer.Suggest Edition