To speak of the history of Ciudad Madero, now an important oil capital of Mexico, is to recognize a courageous and beautiful woman who, by her own right, is considered the first female populace and founder of this municipality: Cecilia Villarreal.
The place where she settled from 1807, from her marriage to her death, became famous with the name of Paso de Doña Cecilia. Her first husband was murdered in the year of 1815, remaining a widow. But he took courage from his courage, rested in the work all his grief and pain.
With his vision and effort, he knew how to dominate the Pánuco River, mighty, fierce and with high waves.
Through the passage people, cargoes and animals were transported from one side of the river to the other, communicating to the two sister states of Tamaulipas and Veracruz, and to the people who, coming from all regions and latitudes, found no safer place than the other. called step. People who felt the pleasant climate and the friendly people, little by little they were gathering around him.
The house where Cecilia lived, called the Casa de la Teja, spacious and comfortable, became an inn for the tired muleteers and travelers; later, in the Sunday recreation center, and in the year of 1829, it was the direct scene of battles of Mexican troops that, in defense of the integrity and sovereignty of the nation, defeated and made to surrender the invading troops of the King of Spain, who they tried to subjugate our principles of freedom; that's why Dona Cecilia and El Paso de Doña Cecilia went down in history.
At the beginning of its establishment, twenty years before the town of Tampico, these territories were almost jungle, wild wild animals abound, but little by little, with tenacity and perseverance were inhabited to build villages, including that of Doña Cecilia, which later It reached the name of Villa Cecilia.
The municipality of Ciudad Madero had as its origin the establishment, in 1921, of the Grande Tree refinery, and the 1o was erected. May of 1924 with the name of Villa Cecilia, who remembered the character that has already been mentioned. In 1930 it was given the category of city, with the name of Madero, in memory of the hero of the Revolution, Francisco I. Madero.
Chronology of historical events
- 1924 They are erected in Villa, with the name of Cecilia.
- 1939 It is granted the category of city.
- Francisco Alonso González, oil engineer, essayist and novelist (1927-)
- Edmundo Font, poet and diplomat (1953-)
- Eduardo Garza Rivas, lawyer (1932-)
- Marco A. Olguín Amador, painter and poet (1950-)
- Felipe de la Garza Villarreal, military
- Antonio Martínez Leal, historian and philosopher (1929-)
- Juan Valles Soriano
Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, dating from the nineteenth century.
Monuments to Benito Juárez, located in the Regional Technological, to Francisco I. Madero, in front of the Municipal Palace.
Literature, music and poetry
From the literary genre, the poetry book entitled The Station of the Senses, by Marco A. Olguín Amador; by Juan Valles, Poemas a Juárez.
Prior to Holy Week, the carnival takes place with attractive parades of floats, dances, comparsas and multicolored costumes, which give it a unique color.
It is located in the southern portion of the State and has a territorial extension of 46.60 square kilometers, which represents 0.07 percent of the total State. It is the Municipality with the smallest surface in Tamaulipas; its municipal head is located at 22º 14 'of north latitude and 97º 49' of west longitude, at an altitude of 3.08 meters above sea level.
The municipality borders on the North with the Municipality of Altamira; to the South with the State of Veracruz; to the East with the Gulf of Mexico and to the West with the Municipality of Tampico. It is constituted by a single locality that is Ciudad Madero.
The climate of the Municipality is of warm-humid type, with regime of rains in the months of June to September, being at the same time the warmest; The average annual temperature is 24ºC, with maximum of 36.8ºC and minimum of 9.7ºC.
The municipality is almost completely flat, corresponding to the coastal plain of the Gulf; and some areas to the north and west are formed by dunes and hills.Suggest Edition