The city of Reynosa is founded on the 14 day of March of 1749, according to the plans authorized by the colonizer Don José de Escandón and Helguera, Count of Sierra Gorda, with 279 inhabitants under the command of Captain Carlos Cantú.
On the 4 day of July of 1802, 8 km was moved east, on the same margin of the Rio Grande, due to constant flooding.
In 1926, it was given the status of a city by decree of the State Government, that is how it began its thriving life, rising despite the inclemency of time, integrating itself into the concert of civilization and modern technology, excelling in the oil industry , which was and continues to be the basis of its wealth and a permanent source of employment, generous of commercial activity that, together with livestock and agriculture, promote the subsistence of hundreds of neighboring towns.
Chronology of historical events
- 1686 The 6 of July, camping on the hills where Reynosa is currently located, the exploratory expedition organized by Don Agustín Echeverz y Zuvízar, Governor of the New Kingdom of León and which is commanded by Captain Alonso who wrote about this event a thorough and detailed relationship.
- 1748 In December, part of Queretaro the expedition under the command of Colonel José de Escandón, who comes to found the new province projecting to establish 14 populations, including Reynosa. The caravan consisted of 1500 settlers and 755 soldiers.
- 1749 The March 14, is founded on its original site the Villa de Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe de Reynosa. The foundation is made by Captain Carlos Cantú on behalf of Escandón, and he is also in charge of the political and military command of Reynosa. The pioneer residents of the Villa all came from the New Kingdom of León, especially from Monterrey, Cadereyta, Cerralvo, El Pilón, etc., in number of 50 families with a total of 279 persons. The religious services were in charge of Fray Agustín Fragoso, Franciscan missionary of the propaganda school Fide de Guadalupe, of the City of Zacatecas, who at the same time took charge of the catechizing mission that was founded together with the Villa under the invocation of Saint Joaquín del Monte It was given the name of Reynosa to remember the town of the same name in Spain, birthplace of the Viceroy of Güemez y Horcasitas.
- 1750 In August, suffers the first flood of its history, which suggests, since then, to move it to a safer place.
- 1757 In April, the count of Sierra Gorda, Colonel José de Escandón, governor and captain general of the province of Nuevo Santander, on a visit to Reynosa, dismisses Captain Carlos Cantú as the mayor of the town and appoints instead Mr. Pedro de Estrada, who consequently is the second mayor who had Reynosa, and this event was the first political problem that the population suffered.
- 1757 9 of July, come to the town of Reynosa the inspectors of the Viceroyalty, Captain José Tienda and Cuervo and engineer Agustín López of the Upper Chamber, with their witnesses of assistance, who by order of the then viceroy, Don Agustín Ahumada y Villón, marqués de las Amarillas, they take a census of the population. By the diligences cited, raised the next day, that is the 10 of July of 1757, we come to the knowledge that the town of Reynosa counted on that date with 280 inhabitants, with six leagues of land assigned by each course and with several thousand heads cattle.
- 1763 29 of March, as a result of one of the suggestions presented by the inspectors, Captain Tienda and Cuervo and the engineer Agustín López of the Upper Chamber, the King of Spain issued on this date Royal Decree authorizing the transfer of the Villa de Reynosa to the place called Santa María de las Lajas.
- 1763 23 of August, the repartimiento of lands effected to the neighbors of Reynosa in this date, and that the history consigns like cars of the general visit, was made by the gentlemen Don Juan Fernando de Palacio and the Licentiate Don José Osorio and Llamas, commissioned to the effect by the viceroy of New Spain, at the time, the Marquis de Croix.
- 1764 9 November, the Governor of the province, Count of Sierra Gorda, informs the viceroy that has not made the change of Reynosa, because the River has opened a lot of box and the danger of flooding has disappeared so it can remain where it is .
- 1770 10 September, dies in Mexico City, at seventy years of age, Don José de Escandón, count of Sierra Gorda, colonizer and governor of the province for 21 years and founded the old Villa de Reynosa.
- 1776 begins a noisy and long litigation of land between Reynosenses. The heirs of Don Juan Hinojosa and Don José Martí Ballí, on the one hand, and Don Domingo Guerra, on the other hand, dispute the portion of the Llano Grande range, located on the north side of the river.
- 1800 September; a flood of such proportions occurs that the town was about to disappear. The inhabitants were saved in canoes and rafts, taking refuge in the hills of El Morrillo.
- 1801 22 of October, is sent to the interim Viceroy of New Spain, Don Felix Berenguer de Marquina, a request for permission to move the village to the site of San Antonio. The office of reference is signed by the mayor, lieutenant of militias José Francisco Ballí, the parish priest fray Agustín Lira and the most famous neighbors.
- 1802 This year the transfer of the villa to its current seat took place. Mayor Ballí donated the necessary land; solar for the neighbors; land for the church and house of town councils for the main square, market, et cetera.
- 1802 In this year and on the occasion of the transfer, a census of the population is carried out; Reynosa has then 1,631 inhabitants
- 1807 Consulting the testament dictated this year by Don José Narciso Cavazos, we came to the knowledge that the livestock, pioneer industry of Reynosa, had reached enormous development. Don José Narciso declares to have more than 5,000 cattle.
- 1810 The construction of the old temple of Our Lady of Guadalupe begins. The works are initiated by the parish priest Don José Cárdenas. It ends in 1815, without having the tower that was built later. He was parish priest of the church, in that year, the priest Don Lorenzo Treviño and mayor of Reynosa Don Manuel de la Fuente Iglesias.
- 1811 There is a commotion in Reynosa and in all the northern towns due to the war of independence led by Don Miguel Hidalgo.
- 1815 The insurgent movement begins and the participation of the children of this land.
- 1846 It is invaded Reynosa by the North American army.
- 1910 The May 10 was taken over by General Lucio Blanco, commanding constitutionalist forces.
- 1926 The November 24, Reynosa is elevated to the City category.
- Manuel Cárrega Guevara. Acting Governor of the State.
- José María Cavazos. Insurgent general.
- Juan B. Chapa. Local deputy and municipal president.
- Mars Rodolfo Gómez. Agronomist and politician, was Secretary of Finance and Public Credit, Secretary of Agriculture and Development and Governor of the State (1869-1913).
Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe, built in 1810, neoclassical style.
To Juárez, Hidalgo and Morelos.
Literature, music and poetry
Of the literary genre, the works of Mars R. Gómez entitled Pancho Villa, an attempt of semblance and letters of Mars R. Gómez, among others.
The harvest fair, every year in the month of August. The December 12 day is the feast of the Virgin of Guadalupe; which starts from the 5 of the same month. During those days, various groups of dancers perform their dances, always wearing very colorful and colorful costumes.
Traditions and customs
Popular dances, with northern groups of accordion, bass and redoba.
Flour tortilla, roasted meat.
Tight jeans, plaid shirt, wide belt, booties and wool hat.
Blown glass and piñatas.
The Municipality of Reynosa is located in the northern part of Tamaulipas and belongs to the 2 subregion. The municipal head, located in the city of Reynosa, is located at 26º05 'north latitude and 98º18' west longitude, at a height of 38 meters above sea level. It borders the North with the United States of North America, through the Rio Grande; to the South with the Municipality of Méndez; to the East with that of Rio Bravo and to the West with that of Díaz Ordaz and the State of Nuevo León.
It has a territorial extension of 3,156.34 square kilometers that represent the 3.7 percent of the extension of the State. It is integrated by 261 localities, of which the most important are: Reynosa, Los Altos, Los Cavazos, El Guerrero, Rancho Grande, Palo Blanco, New Llorona, Las Burras, Santa Gertrudis, Rodolfo M. Rocha, November 10, Alfredo V. Bonfil, Nuevo Santa Ana and El Porvenir.
The Municipality of Reynosa is covered by irrigation systems, the San Juan River and the Rio Grande. The main source of supply is represented by the San Juan River, which provides irrigation and water for the city and irrigates the southern part of it. There are many channels, the main ones being Rhode and Anzaldúas.
Dry steppe, very warm with an average annual temperature of 22ºC, with a summer rainfall regime and an average rainfall between 400 and 500 cubic millimeters. Two seasons are easily distinguished, summer season and winter season; in the first the temperature reaches up to 40ºC in the months of May to August and in the second, the thermometer drops to less than 10ºC.
The Municipality of Reynosa is constituted, fundamentally, by plains.
Classification and land use
It easily distinguishes three types of soil. Calcaric cambisol soil predominates in the northern part of the municipality; in the center and lower part, the soil xerosol, alkal xerosol and calcaric xerosol and finally, in the lower part of the south, the lithosol soil. As you can see, these soils are suitable for agriculture, and livestock. The land for the most part is devoted to agriculture, taking advantage of irrigation systems. As far as holding on a larger scale is concerned, it belongs to the ejidal regime and to small property.
Flora and fauna
The flora contains abundant thorn bushes such as: granjeno, huizache and mesquite, as well as pyramidal grass, which is a good natural fodder. In the southern part of the Municipality, the low forests abound, predominantly the thorny chaparros and seasonal trees of diverse species.
Regarding the fauna, in the northern and central part of the municipality abounds the white-winged pigeon, which is migratory, and flocks of wild birds; as well as the coyote, raccoon badger and opossum.Suggest Edition