Population founded the 5 of March of 1749 by José de Escandón, Count of Sierra Gorda, within its colonizing plan of the coast of the Mexican Seno, being under the invocation of Santa Ana. In 1750, the Franciscan missionary of the Apostolic College of Guadalupe of Zacatecas, who was in charge of the mission of Laredo, next to this town, built the temple of this mission.
In 1757, the village had 637 inhabitants, governed politically and militarily by Blas María de la Garza, and spiritually, by a religious of the Colegio de Guadalupe. For that year, the houses of the town were the best of the New Santander, built in adobe and covered with grass; there were two of lime and singing with roof; however, his temple was still very poor. The economic basis of the settlers in livestock and salt trade with the border provinces.
In 1770, its population amounted to 1,008 inhabitants, counting the nearby ranches; the mission of San Agustín de Laredo had 246 indigenous congregates. By the middle of the nineteenth century had 4,017 inhabitants.
By decree issued by the state government, in March of 1858, free zone was granted to the ports of the Tamaulipas border, increasing with this measure the population of Camargo due to the mercantile movement that was provoked by the franchises granted to trade. For 1873, the buildings of the Villa were generally made of stone or huano, with a roof covering, tiles or grass.
Chronology of historical events
- 1749 The March 5, foundation of the population.
- 1866 The June 16, the battle of Santa Gertrudis took place.
- Antonio Canales Molano, Governor of Tamaulipas (1880-1884)
- Indalesio Canales Molano, philosopher and military, hero in the war of the North American intervention (1829-1847)
- Servando Canales Molano, military, political, intervened in the War of Reform and against the French intervention, was Governor on several occasions, between 1866 and 1876.
- Tristán Canales Molano, military (-1847)
- José Macedonio Capistrano de la Garza, Political and military (1803-)
- Carlos Eduardo Castañeda, historian and teacher. (1856-1958)
- Juan N. Cortina Goceoscochea, militar and political. He was Governor in 1864 and from 1865 to 1866. (1824- 1894)
The Municipal Palace, built in the 19th century; the parish of Our Lady of Santa Anna, from the 18th century; Mission of the Indians, built in the year of 1750; primary school Apolonio Falcón y Guerra, dates from the year of 1859; Kiosk of the Plaza Hidalgo, built in 1898.
Memorial to the battle of Santa Gertrudis, erected on the hill, southeast of Camargo; Monument to Miguel Hidalgo in the main square.
Ruins of Villanueva.
Literature, music and poetry
From the literary genre the works of Rosa de Castañeda, La Gaviota Verde, Rancho Estradeño, Torrente Negro, El Coyote, Braceros, among others; and of Ernesto Garza, Chronicles of Camargo.
Celebration of the Virgin of Santa Anna, traditional patron of the community, on the 26 day of July.
Smelting of glass, prepared for sale to tourists.
The official name of the municipality is Camargo, located in the northern part of the state of Tamaulipas. The municipal head takes the same name and is located in 26º 19 'of north latitude and 98º 06' of west longitude, at a height of 68 meters above sea level.
The municipality has a territorial extension of 937.15 square kilometers, which represents 1.05 percent of the total of the entity. It borders the North with the United States of North America; to the south with the state of Nuevo León; to the east with the municipality of Miguel Alemán and to the west with that of Díaz Ordaz. It is integrated by 105 localities, of which the most important are: Camargo City (municipal seat), Comales, Rancherías, Santa Rosalía, Nuevo Caudillo, San Francisco, Guardados de Abajo and Azúcar.
The 50 percent of its surface is covered by the water of the Marte R. Gómez dam, base of the irrigation system of the lower San Juan River or Irrigation District No. 25.
The San Juan and Bravo rivers bathe most of the remaining territory.
Extreme dry warm, with temperatures ranging from less than 6ºC to 40ºC, with a rainfall of 400 millimeters per year.
The level of the ground is slightly flat with an inclination to the east, following the bed of the Rio Grande.
Classification and land use
Fit and fertile for agriculture. In a small portion the chestnut-colored calcium soil is located; likewise calcium xerosol, regosol, silty mig and my clayey. With regard to land tenure, ejidal and communal property regimes predominate. The soil basically is livestock, and agricultural.
Flora and fauna
In the north of the municipality the thorn scrub and medium scrub predominate; in the southern part, scrub subinerme and tall thorny.
The wildlife is composed of small flocks of birds, deer, coyote and hare.Suggest Edition